To participate on our message boards you must register for either a Fan account (free) or Insider account ($4.99/month). Once registered, you can login via the link above the site logo at the top of the page or through the link here within the message boards.

To register for a free account to access the message boards, click here. To become an Insider and get full site access, click here.

Notifications
Clear all

Clippers 2021

Edible14
(@edible14)
Low-A dreamer
Topic starter  

IndiansPro released preliminary rosters for 3/4 of the affiliates. The Columbus roster isn't one of them, but the assumption seems to be that the current "Alternate Site" roster will be, more of less, Columbus. Some things to note here, AAA is now at a 28 man roster for 2021. It's not clear if that's a temporary thing related to some of the one-time pressures of this season (arms not built up for a full season of duty, a squeeze of 43 teams creating a need for lots of cuts), or a long term thing. So here's what looks like the roster, with some notes:

SP: Jean Carlos Mejia, Logan Allen, Tanner Tully, Kirk McCarty, ????

Eli Morgan and Scott Moss are currently in Arizona with reported injuries. No idea how severe, but their absence certainly makes the group look thinner. Adam Scott is not listed here or elsewhere, and he seems like a good bet to fill in if he's not hurt. Castillo is listed at the alt-site, but given his age and lack of experience above A ball, the thought is that he'll go to Akron (IndiansPro suggested as much). The other spot might also just go to Sam Hentges if he's sent down for a bat to keep him stretched out (with.... Quantrill taking spot 5 in Cleveland?)

RP: Mikolajchak, Broom, D. Young, Gose, DJ Johnson, Dowdy, Parker, Siri, ????

We're assuming here that Columbus goes with a 9 man bullpen (14 pitchers, half the roster), meaning they will be one short for now. Sandlin is listed here on the site, but his promotion to Cleveland was announced last night as a counter move to the Logan Allen demotion. Options for filling that last spot include a starter mentioned above, recent DFA Ollie Perez if he decides to stick around, Jordan Stephens, and Ben Krauth. Neither Krauth nor Stephens are at the alt site now, but neither have been formally released (both could very well be cut). Cam Hill will also return here at some point in the season once he has recovered from that horrific car crash injury.

C: Collins, R. Rivera, Lavarnaway

Alt site lists Eric Gonzalez and Mike Rivera as well, but I'm not expecting them to actually carry 5 catchers. I suspect they'll be filling out as 3rd catchers in Akron and Lake County. 

IF: Bradley, Miller, Jones, Clement, Monasterio, Krieger

It seems as though Monasterio and Krieger will survive the roster cuts, somewhat surprisingly as both are free agents after this season and seem unlikely to make the majors. The site also has Arias listed but I think he'll end up in Akron as Akron only has 22 people listed right now and he is quite young. I'm assuming the Indians carry 14 position players, so a mix of 3 catchers, 6 IF, and 5 OF makes sense to me. It's kind of an underwhelming group if we're being honest, especially on days where Jones is playing 1B/OF. 

OF: H. Ramirez, Zimmer, Gamel, D. Johnson, Mercado

All five here are on the 40, so no surprises. Connor Marabell is also listed here on the site, I'm projecting him off of the roster/cut unless they promote one of these 5 to take a pitcher from Cleveland (Hentges?). Also in no-mans land is Alex Call, return from the Yonder Alonso trade. He's not listed anywhere, and could be a cut candidate. 

Mackie_Lundquist
(@mackie_lundquist)
Draft Prospect

It seems to me that the position players on the roster are mostly guys who are iffy...Bradley, Zimmer, Mercado, Clement.

The three position guys that stand out are Jones, Miller and Arias. Those are the guys I am especially interested in watching. If they produce, especially Miller, he could be in The Show by June or July.

Arias and Jones likely are looking at next year, barring an explosion in production in Columbus this year, or injuries and positional collapse in Cleveland this year.

Edible14 liked
ReplyQuote
Edible14
(@edible14)
Low-A dreamer
Topic starter  

Jones I think gets a call this year, to replace Bauers at 1B (or he'd go to RF and move Naylor there). Arias I only see coming up if Gimenez really struggles his way out of the lineup. 

One thing that I've sort of noticed is that the Indians don't have any RH options at 1B beyond Chang. Chang has struggled a lot, and it might be prudent to replace him. But Jones, Bradley, Bauers, and Naylor are all lefties with some degree of platoon issues. You look down the ladder, Connor Marabell plays some 1B but is a lefty. Akron has been playing Trenton Brooks there and has said Richie Palacios will see time - both lefties. 

A guy I think could be a dark horse for a promotion is Gavin Collins. Collins is being worked at catcher mostly, but has extensive experience at 1B. As a righty with a track record of slightly above average production with the bat, he could make a case for a roster spot in that role. He could essentially be the backup or third catcher while being the platoon handcuff at 1B. If he hits really well at Columbus and Chang's production is continuing to be awful, I can see that. 

I would have been saying this about Mitch Reeves if they hadn't released him. 

ReplyQuote
Mackie_Lundquist
(@mackie_lundquist)
Draft Prospect

Posted by: @edible14

Jones I think gets a call this year, to replace Bauers at 1B (or he'd go to RF and move Naylor there). Arias I only see coming up if Gimenez really struggles his way out of the lineup. 

One thing that I've sort of noticed is that the Indians don't have any RH options at 1B beyond Chang. Chang has struggled a lot, and it might be prudent to replace him. But Jones, Bradley, Bauers, and Naylor are all lefties with some degree of platoon issues. You look down the ladder, Connor Marabell plays some 1B but is a lefty. Akron has been playing Trenton Brooks there and has said Richie Palacios will see time - both lefties. 

A guy I think could be a dark horse for a promotion is Gavin Collins. Collins is being worked at catcher mostly, but has extensive experience at 1B. As a righty with a track record of slightly above average production with the bat, he could make a case for a roster spot in that role. He could essentially be the backup or third catcher while being the platoon handcuff at 1B. If he hits really well at Columbus and Chang's production is continuing to be awful, I can see that. 

I would have been saying this about Mitch Reeves if they hadn't released him. 

Why not Owen Miller? He seems to be what the doctor ordered. A righty who can hit and get on base. He is a competent middle infielder so the transition to 1st should not be especially challenging.

ReplyQuote
DennisB
(@dennisb)
Draft Prospect

Miller for Chang is a roster move practically begging to happen.

ReplyQuote
Edible14
(@edible14)
Low-A dreamer
Topic starter  

I was going to say he doesn't play 1B, but they put him in there Friday. That was also a day Chang didn't play against a LHP, they put Naylor in there instead. Certainly it seems that might be what they're thinking. 

DennisB liked
ReplyQuote
MadThinker88
(@madthinker88)
Rookie League baller

While I understand the idea behind swapping Jones for Chang, I would rather Jones play regularly & that is not the case (presently) in CLE for Chang.  Same with the idea of Miller for Chang.

Let the kids play.  If either is brought up they need to play more than 50% of the time.  Until that has a plan for happening in MLB, leave Jones/ Miller in AAA were they play at least 5 of every 6 games per week.

buckaroo liked
ReplyQuote
DennisB
(@dennisb)
Draft Prospect

Bradley for Bauers is a roster move practically begging to happen. 🙂 

ReplyQuote
MadThinker88
(@madthinker88)
Rookie League baller

@dennisb

I am ready to move on from both of them.

Josh Naylor is more 1B than OF..  Play him most games at 1st & improve the OF Defense by calling up Daniel Johnson & platooning him with Luplow/ Harold Ramirez.  Heck Daniel in CF & 1 of Luplow/ Harold in RF is a significant upgrade.

ReplyQuote
Share: