To participate on our message boards you must register for either a Fan account (free) or Insider account ($4.99/month). Once registered, you can login via the link above the site logo at the top of the page or through the link here within the message boards.

To register for a free account to access the message boards, click here. To become an Insider and get full site access, click here.

Notifications
Clear all

Captains 2021

Edible14
(@edible14)
Low-A dreamer
Topic starter  

The Captains debut as a High A team this year, and have a 30 man roster limit due to some (temporary?) rule changes. IndiansPro on twitter released a list of 30 players that have been assigned there, which is subject to change obviously but seems like who they will be rolling out with to start the season. Let's see!

SP: Logan T. Allen, Burns, F. Perez, Gallagher, Gaddis

These aren't officially noted as starters, but these 5 seem the most likely candidates. There are some notable absences here, including Carlos Vargas, Raymond Burgos, and Ethan Hankins. None have been listed, all are far more interesting prospects than Nick Gallagher or any of the piggyback candidates I list below here. It's possible they're dealing with some sort of injury. I'll also list Yefferson Yannuzzi here as someone who would logically make sense at this level as a starter, but their non-listing leaves them a possible cut candidate.

RP: Ponticelli*, Royalty*, M. Turner*, Coulter, Herrin, Hickman, Janczak, K. Kelly, Ocker, Rholl

There are 10 guys here, and 16 pitchers total. They have 15 position players listed, so I'm assuming somebody listed here will be on the IL. The guys listed with an asterisk are guys with previous starting experience who may be piggybacking with some of the younger starters to help load manage. It's obviously a lot of pitchers. Herrin is one of the relievers I'm most interested in as he's constantly on twitter posting himself working with high speed videos and such. He's a lefty that hits 95, so he's got at least something of a shot. For guys that might have made sense here but are unassigned... I have Marman, Degroat, Eichorn and Hart. They may be cut candidates.

C: Amditis, Lavastida, GP Gonzalez

I am *baffled* that GianPaul Gonzalez has stuck around given some of the names left off like Angel Lopez and Pinorini. Lavastida obviously figures to get most of the playing time

IF: Bracho, Delgado, Englemann, Naranjo, Rocchio, Tena, Schneemann

I'm assuming that Tena, Rocchio, and Bracho will be the most used pieces here, possibly rotating the middle IF positions, 3B and DH with Delgado. Naranjo should be the primary 1B with Englemann (former OF) his backup. Unassigned names that would work here include: Cantu, Connor Smith, Ike Freeman, and Joab Gonzalez

OF: Brennan, Q. Holmes, Nova, Valera, Wade

Probably the most exciting OF group in the system. Brennan was a high pick, Valera is a top prospect, and Victor Nova is apparently fully converting from 3B (he was part of the Bauer trade from SD). I had thought Wade would be in Akron, and Holmes seems more like depth at this point. Only notable OF I have at this level that's not assigned is Billy Wilson.

Edible14
(@edible14)
Low-A dreamer
Topic starter  

Ocker got the start last week to replace Royalty, who was bumped to Akron.  Ocker will return to the bullpen now to make room for a returning Raymond Burgos, who we hadn't seen in a few years. Burgos' return was 3 innings, 4 Ks, no walks. He was piggybacked by Janczak, which isn't terribly surprising as they piggybacked everyone for their first starts last week. Allen and Gaddis were allowed to go 5 this week, so it seems they're going to stretch these starters out, unlike in Lynchburg. 

Notable that with a 6 man rotation of Allen, Gaddis, Burgos, Hickman, Burns, and Turner, they'll need to average about 5 innings a start to get to 100 innings this year. I also suspect the rotation will stay in Lake County all year. If Akron needs a starter i would expect them to move someone out of the bullpen first, and if they needed a callup from Lake County I suspect they would take Gallagher, who has been used in a piggyback role, and was already at affiliated ball in 2019. 

ReplyQuote
Share: